Saturday, January 25, 2014

Beer cake diy (30 beers for 30 years!)

I've been wanting to make a beer cake for awhile now, and our brother in laws 30 Birthday turned out to be the perfect occasion. Once I realized the correlation between the number of years and the numbers of cans in a case of beer, a theme was born. They are easy make and fun to decorate, and I know I will be making them again in the future!



Supplies you will need:



Case of beer
Shooters
Cigars
3 cake rounds (12 inch, 10 inch and 8 inch)
Large plate
Adhesive tabs
Wooden skewers
Ribbon
Pipe cleaners
Rubber bands
Decorative elements (I used curly ribbon, some sparkly twine and labels I made on Photoshop)



Now, a couple pointers~


I highly recommend the large plate to support the weight of the cake. All of the tutorials I found on line just built the cake off of the 12" cardboard round which is going to get really sketchy if you need to actually transport the cake anywhere. I found the one I used at Michael's in the candle isle for $1.99.

Adhesive tabs are also very important if you plan on transporting or moving the cake anywhere. That sucker is going to be heavy and awkward and keeping those cans from rolling off or tipping over will be a lifesaver. Plus it is super fun watching the recipient try and pry the beer cans loose :)

The picture is pretty self explanatory. 

The cake is stacked as such:

12" round - 13 cans
10" round - 9 cans
8" round - 8 cans

I did sticky tabs in between each bear and each layer to keep everything steady. Rubber bands work well for keeping the shooters and cigars steady on the skewers. I wrapped the wooden skewers in pipe cleaners to dress them up a little and then just stuck everything in the crevices of the cans. Wrap some ribbon around the layers, slap on some festive decorations and you are good to go! 







2 comments:

  1. One more question, did you paint the cake rounds to match?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used blue tissue paper cut to size and Modge Podge to cover the cake rounds since I was unable to find coordinating colors for this design at the store. Paint could work, but there is a change it might adhere to the beer cans due to the condensation.

    ReplyDelete